Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs, United FC, Hawks, or Yellow Jackets. It doesn’t matter who your team is or what game you are attending, food is a necessity that goes hand in hand with any event. Hamburgers and Pizza are staple foods in the majority of Americans diets. Why not put a little twist on the two by combining the favorites into one dish? At your next tailgate try out this recipe for Pizza Burgers!
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, chopped, or cooked bacon crumbles
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread or baguette
- 1 8 – ounce can pizza sauce or 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend (1 ounce)
- Pepperoni slices (optional)
- In a large bowl combine Italian sausage, ground beef, the chopped pepperoni, and the salt; mix well. Using your clean hands, shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill patties on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (160 degrees F),* turning once halfway through grilling time. Toast bread slices on the grill.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat pizza sauce over low heat.
- Serve burgers between toasted bread slices topped with sauce, cheese, and, if desired, pepperoni slices.